Friday, April 22, 2016

Prayer Time




Letters From The Heart

How many times have you just said the words to your prayer? How many times have you prayed and made a grocery list at the same time or list of what you need to do for the day? How many times have you prayed and your mind wandered over problems unrelated to your present prayer time?

I don't think God likes those prayers, it would be like someone trying to talk to you while distracted by something they thought more important. I believe he would rather us pray like we were talking to him, he “is” right here by us listening intently to every word and concern spoken.

My grandmother only had a third-grade education but was the wisest woman I have ever known. She lived with us at different times during my growing up years and She taught me by example. My memories of her are of sweet victories of peace over and over in her life, and I remember her taking her King James Bible and mumbling over those words, reading it every day and she read and prayed (out loud) during the day most of the nights.

Every night she would pray for the family and I would hear her “call the roll” as she prayed for each one. I listened for my name to be called before I could go to sleep and I truly believe my life today and my walk with God is the result of Annie Mae's prayer times.

Her prayers were not “off the wall” or vague “help me” prayers, but pointed, direct conversations with the heavenly Father, the Father of lights, where she asked for and received a “Word” and her wisdom from the Lord, words of comfort and direction. I remember visiting her one evening and at 89 years old, she said many times during the night when she could not sleep, she would go into the bathroom because she always prayed out loud and so she would not wake anyone, climbed up on top of the clothes hamper, would swing her legs and pray, pray, pray and she said, “it is never enough”! I just never get through praying for people. My Grandmother is my hero of the faith.

Thank you, Father, for a Godly Grandmother who leads by example.  Jesus lead by example when his followers saw him go into the garden at various time to spend time with the Father.  Father, I pray my life will be a living example to those who are close to me and their memories of me will be of faith building memories.


Oh, how I love to tell the story.


Anne with an  'e'


No comments:

Post a Comment